The Blake School is looking for two bright and energetic Lower School Spanish teachers to join our outstanding and increasingly diverse faculty for the 2015-16 school year. This will be the second year of a proficiency-based, foreign language in the elementary school (FLES), program. Our instruction emphasizes oral communication and is part of a well-articulated Spanish sequence from PK to 12th grade. We are looking to hire two full time faculty members who would be capable of developing a meaningful curriculum that will engage students in relevant, age-appropriate communicative tasks, and that will allow learners to advance to the highest possible levels of Spanish proficiency within a FLES program.
This position requires teaching several grades, from PK to grade 5.
Other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate is an accomplished teacher of Spanish with student-centered pedagogy and successful classroom experience in the Lower School. This position requires collaborative work with faculty (in and out of the Modern and Classical Languages Department), excellent interpersonal skills and strong organizational skills. Candidates need to be ready to engage fully with the community-based experience of an independent school. We are looking for a positive, enthusiastic, and proactive educator, with a passion for working with lower school children and supporting them in developing a high level of proficiency in Spanish.
Successful candidates will be able to demonstrate:
- 100% use of target language in the classroom
- Experience using multiple strategies for Comprehensible Input
- Curriculum design and instruction driven by ACTFL standards and language proficiency targets
- Orientation to an oral proficiency approach
- Varied, and creative pedagogical approaches
- Constructive teamwork
- Proven student results
- Training and teaching experience at the lower school level
- Training in the teaching of a world language and knowledge of essential concepts of Second Language Acquisition
- Native or near native language skills
- Knowledge of Latino/Hispanic cultures, preferably from meaningful experiences living abroad
- Experience designing effective lower school language curriculum and assessments that are meaningful, engaging, cognitively challenging, and that are driven by proficiency targets
- Involvement in ongoing professional development
As of January 14, the search committee continues to accept applications. Blake will typically cover the travel and lodging costs for finalist candidates visiting from out of town.
The Blake School is a pre-kindergarten through grade 12, co-educational, nonsectarian, independent day school enrolling 1,363 bright, talented students from nearly 56 Twin Cities-area communities. Founded in 1900, The Blake School has the advantage of three campuses (Minneapolis, Hopkins and Wayzata) each with its own facilities designed for specific ages, schedules and activities. The mission of the school is to provide students with an excellent, academically challenging education in a diverse and supportive community committed to a common set of values.
The Blake School believes that a diverse society enriches all individuals and communities. Diversity of race, ethnicity, national origin, geography, religion, gender, affectional or sexual orientation, age, physical ability, and marital, parental or economic status forms the fabric of our society. As a result of these beliefs, The Blake School actively seeks students, families and employees who value and contribute to the fullness of a diverse community within the context of its mission. In doing so, we recognize our responsibility to help make each person's experience a success. EOE