A Collaborative of Minnesota Department of Education, Coordinators of World Languages, CARLA (Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition) and MCTLC (Minnesota Council on the Teaching of Languages and Cultures) is offering a series of workshops for the 2016-2017 school year.
NEW - Teachers now have the opportunity to earn 1 graduate credit for completion of the four IP-Yay sessions, course readings, and final course product, which consists of a unit outline and the creation of an interpretive performance assessment, an interpersonal performance assessment, and a presentational performance assessment. Graduate credit is available through Hamline Univeristy for $179.
The four five hour workshops on four Saturdays are intended to help teachers write and revise their world language curriculum based on the integrated performance assessment (IPA) framework developed by the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL). The workshops are designed help teachers focus on proficiency goals in language teaching and learn how to develop assessments of the modes of communication using backward design (Wiggins & McTighe). The series I open to teachers of all levels and languages.
· Understand how integrated performance assessment/instructional units can fit with their current curriculum
· Learn how to develop practical performance assessments
· Develop an integrated performance assessment unit to include each of the modes of communication
· Teachers will work in level appropriate groups across languages
· Learn how to adapt units for use with higher and lower proficiency levels
· Explore the role of the culture standard
Learning how use of Can-Do Statements with students to raise awareness of their learning and help them identify learning areas on which to focus.
Read and discuss multiple articles on assessment (list will be included with syllabus)
*lunch provided at all sessions
Individual Session Titles:
Minnesota Council on the Teaching of Languages and Cultures
PO Box 11926, St. Paul MN 55111
Membership and Fall Conference Registration: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Technical inquiries: email@example.com