The Blake School seeks a creative and dynamic full-time Upper School Spanish teacher for a one-semester sabbatical coverage from January 2022 through June 2022 . This is a temporary position.
Strong candidates will demonstrate native or near-native fluency with outstanding teaching ability and extensive experience with students in advanced-level Spanish. This position entails teaching three sections of high school Spanish 5. Modern & classical languages teachers design curriculum, assessments and instruction driven by ACTFL standards and language proficiency targets that emphasize students’ development of language skills and confidence in the language. Candidates should have a strong interest in working in a community committed to pluralism and be inquisitive, self-directed and team-oriented.
Blake is particularly interested in candidates who will enrich the diversity of identity, lived experience and thinking that makes our community strong and empowers students to engage across differences.
Application review will begin immediately. Blake will typically cover the travel and lodging costs for finalist candidates visiting from out of town.
Experience and Skills:
Minimum Qualifications :
- Bachelor’s or graduate degree in Spanish (a teaching credential is not required)
- Native or near-native fluency in the language
- Successful experience teaching Spanish to high school students using student-centered pedagogy
- Training in the teaching of a world language and knowledge of essential concepts of Second Language Acquisition
- Demonstrated intercultural competence
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including humor and flexibility
- Strong organizational ability
- Respect for children and their potential
- Creative, joyful approach to learning and teaching
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Constructivist educational philosophy
- Commitment to partnership with parents/guardians
The Blake School is a pre-kindergarten through grade 12, co-educational, nonsectarian, independent day school enrolling 1,366 bright, talented students from nearly 56 Twin Cities-area communities. Founded in 1900, The Blake School has the advantage of three campuses (Minneapolis, Hopkins and Wayzata) each with its own facilities designed for specific ages, schedules and activities. The mission of the school is to provide students with an excellent, academically challenging education in a diverse and supportive community committed to a common set of values.
The Blake School believes that a diverse society enriches all individuals and communities. Diversity of race, ethnicity, national origin, geography, religion, gender, affectional or sexual orientation, age, physical ability, and marital, parental or economic status forms the fabric of our society. As a result of these beliefs, The Blake School actively seeks students, families and employees who value and contribute to the fullness of a diverse community within the context of its mission. In doing so, we recognize our responsibility to help make each person's experience a success. EOE
To apply, please visit: https://www.blakeschool.org/about/employment